Monday, August 16, 2010

A few months later... Spongebob!

Back in May Gunnar turned 4, and I made him a Spongebob Squarepants birthday cake using fondant! Here are some pictures and instructions if you are feeling creative and want to try making a cake with fondant!
The first step is to bake the cake and cut the shape that you need... for spobgebob I used a 9X13 pan and then cut it down to size. Before cutting, I placed the cake in the freezer after it cooled to make it easier to cut. Then you frost the cake so the fondant has something to stick to. Then you are ready to start placing your fondant on the cake... the picture below shows spongebobs brown squarepants.
In order to place the fondant on the cake you have to roll it out to the size and thickness you desire. (also if using white fondant you must dye it your desired color. For this cake I used store bought already colored fondant... it is more expensive but saved me a ton of time!)
Pictured below is my yellow fondant rolled out... you can use a regular rolling pin or a special fondant rolling pin, but either way, you need lots of powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to surfaces.
Spongebob's arms and legs are shaped from fondant and stuck to the cake using water.
Just a few more touches before he's ready!
I used round fondant tools to make the bubbles on spongebob's body.
The hands were pretty tricky! They turned out okay and I loved that he was holding the candles!
And here is the birthday boy enjoying his cake... he loved it and that made the 4 hours of work so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment